- Serves: 4
Looking to create a delicious vegetarian dish? Why not try this fantastic recipe of Four Cheese Ravioli with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce. Making your own pasta may seem like a difficult task, however its well worth the effort!
For the Ravioli Filling
80g finely grated parmesan
80g grated mozzarella
80g grated mature white cheddar cheese
1/4tsp garlic puree
½ tsp flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Cover and place in the fridge until the pasta is rolled out.
For the Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
1 x 460g jar of roast red peppers roughly diced
1/2 red onion finely diced
½ tsp garlic puree
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp salt
½ tsp cracked black pepper
1tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp sunflower oil
- Fry off the onions and garlic puree until soft.
- Add the diced tomatoes and diced roasted red peppers cook for 5 minutes of a medium heat.
- Add the salt pepper and sugar.
- Put in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return to the heat and taste.
- Add more salt pepper and sugar to taste.
- Set aside until the pasta is made.
For the Pasta
300g flour plus more for dusting
1 tsp salt
3 eggs plus 1 for the egg wash
2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour and salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and add in the eggs all at once. Mix them together well using your hands. Add the olive oil and knead the dough for 5 minutes. Form into a ball and leave in the bowl, covered with plastic wrap for 30 minutes.
- Flatten one piece of dough by hand. Run it through the thickest setting on a pasta machine, then take the rollers down two settings and run it through again to make it thinner.
- Now, fold it in half and run it back through the thickest setting again, repeating this a few times for super-smooth dough. Start rolling the sheet down through each setting, lightly dusting with flour as you go. Turn the crank with one hand while the other maintains just a little tension to avoid any kinks or folds.
- Take it right down to 1mm, then lay the sheet flat and stamp out circles with a 12cm cutter.
- Working quickly, spoon 1 heaped teaspoon of filling into the middle of each, lightly brush the exposed pasta with water, Place another cut out circle of pasta on top of this, gently pressing to squeeze out any air, and seal.
Warm the sauce in a pan over a medium heat, and in batches cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water for just 2 minutes.
Place a large spoon of sauce on the bottom of the plate and spread out in a circle. Place 3 pieces of cooked pasta in the centre of the bowl on top of the sauce and garnish with a drizzle of Olive oil and cracked black pepper.