We’ve kept it classic and traditional this year for our Christmas mains! A favourite for all!
Roast, Brined Turkey
For best results brine the turkey overnight in a large tub that will fit in your fridge.
For the Brine
4 litres of water
100g Simply Lo-Gel Turkey Stock
2 bay leaves
- Immerse your turkey (5-7kg) in the brine & leave in the fridge overnight. The next morning remove from the brine, and pat dry. Using a Simply Prepared herb butter at room temperature, spread under the skin over both breasts, then repeat over the skin and all over the legs also.
- For the stuffing, use a Simply Prepared Sage, Lemon & Onion Stuffing, open up the skin around the neck cavity, fill with stuffing and secure the skin to below the wishbone with cocktail sticks. Cover the crown of the bird in streaky bacon as an extra layer of fat to protect the lean meat.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan, for a higher welfare bird, roast at 25mins/kg plus an extra 20mins. For a standard bird increase the time to 35-40mins/kg plus an extra 20mins.
Allow to rest for at least 1 hour.
- While the bird is roasting, get working on the gravy.
For the gravy
1 large onion
1 rib of celery, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
3 sage leaves, chopped
500g Simply Turkey Stock
- Sweat the onions, carrot & celery in a little rapeseed oil until the onions become translucent, add the garlic and sage & cook for a further few minutes, add the marsala and reduce by half, add the stock & reduce by half again. Strain and set aside, remembering to pour in the resting juices from the turkey before serving.
- Remember to serve with a delicious tart & sweet Simply Sauce Cranberry Relish