- Serves: 6
Brisket Chilli Mole
1 tsp Ancho Chile powder
1/2 tsp Chipotle Chile powder
1/2 tsp puree garlic
1/2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
1kg beef brisket, well-trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
100g diced onion
400ml Simply Roast Beef Stock
50g tomato paste
25g 70% dark chocolate
- Mix all the dry ingredients in small bowl and add the diced brisket. Place in the fridge overnight or for 2 hours.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in an oven proof dish on medium-high heat. Add 1/2 of the beef, brown on all sides. Repeat with remaining beef. Remove beef. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in same ovenproof dish on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic cook continuously stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the roast beef stock, stir to loosen browned bits in bottom of pan, add the tomato paste and beef.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the dark chocolate. Place the lid on and put in the oven for 1 hour. Remove the lid and cook for a further 1 hour or until beef is tender and sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.
Red Onion Pickle
300ml cider vinegar
3 tbsp golden caster sugar
1tbsp sea salt flakes
6 black peppercorns
6 coriander seeds
1 star anise
1 bay leaf
3 small red onions, sliced into rings
- Pour the vinegar into a pan, add the sugar, sea salt, the spices and bay leaf, and bring to a simmer.
- After 1 min, check that the sugar and salt have dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Pack the onion rings into a 500g sterilised jar Pour over the warm vinegar and seal. Cool, then chill and leave to pickle for 2 hrs.
12 hard shell corn tortillas
Feta cheese crumbled
Handful of chopped fresh coriander
BBQ charred quarters of limes
Heat hard-shell tacos in the oven @ 180°C for 3 minutes. Crumble the feta. Spoon some Brisket Chilli Mole into the centre of each taco. Top with pickled onion and crumbled feta finish with a squeeze of lime.