Slow Roast Pork Belly with an Apple & Cider Simply Sauce, and Simply Prepared Sage Stuffing and Colcannon Mash.
The Halloween season and the crisp, cold, dark evenings that come with it calls for comfort eating and there is nothing more comforting than a roast dinner. This roast pork with apple sauce emits memories of childhood Sunday dinners with family.
Our Apple & Cider Simply Sauce has a sweet apple flavour with pieces of apple to add texture to the dish, while the cider aids in cutting through the richness of the pork complimenting it perfectly.
Our Simply Prepared Sage Stuffing contains fresh, natural ingredients like butter, salt, pepper, sage and fresh breadcrumbs, adding another layer of flavour to the dish and soaking up all the pork juices from cooking.
Serve with traditional colcannon mash to complete this Halloween feast.
Slow Roast Pork Belly
4 Garlic Cloves, smashed
750ml White Wine
50g Sea Salt Flakes
- The day before cooking, unwrap the pork and dry the rind well.
- Score the skin and cover with sea salt flakes,
- Put in the fridge uncovered overnight.
- Remove the pork from the fridge an hour before you intend to start cooking it.
- Heat the oven to 230°C.
- Rub 2 tbsp of olive oil all over the surface of the pork, including between the scores.
- Put in a roasting tin and in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven temperature down to 160°C.
- Remove the tin from the oven and add the garlic and white wine to the tin, taking care not to get the rind wet.
- Put back in the oven for 3 hours.
- With 30 minutes to go, drain the liquid from the tin and place the Sage Stuffing under the Pork Belly and put back in the oven.
- Take out of the oven and let the pork rest for 30 minutes covered in foil.
1kg Rooster Potatoes, peeled and diced
250g Curly Kale
Salt & Pepper
- Cook the potatoes in a covered pan of boiling salted water for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Destalk the kale and fry off in a pan with some butter, salt and pepper. Turn the heat down and cover until the kale is soft.
- Drain the potatoes, add in the milk, kale and remaining butter and mash until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spoon the Simply Prepared Sage Stuffing into a serving dish and cut the pork into slices. Heat the Apple & Cider Simply Sauce in a pot and serve on the side of the pork. Heat the creamy colcannon mash and place a heaped spoon on the plate….and ENJOY!