00:45:00 plus 12:00:00 Brining Time
00:40:00 per kg of raw bird
Tip: Let it rest! The best way to lock the juices into the turkey is cover it with tinfoil and let it rest for about fifteen to twenty minutes. Don’t cover the turkey too tightly though because it may begin to steam underneath the foil.
Ho! Ho! Ho! Welcome back for Part 2 of our Christmas Recipe Series……
How did you get on with the Duck Rillettes starter? Pretty tasty wasn’t it?!
For the main course we’re going with the Christmas Classic Turkey but with a twist. We’re making a side of braised red cabbage, the flavours will blend in beautifully as part of your meal.
Here’s a list of what you’re going to need:
Ingredients for the Turkey
- 5kg Higher welfare bronze turkey
- 750ml Apple Juice or Apple Cider
- 5kg Cold Water
- 50g Fresh Rosemary Leaves
- 40g Garlic, Minced
- 400g Sea Salt
- 540g Brown Sugar
- 45g Whole Black Peppercorns
- 10g Bay Leaves
- 200g Orange Peel
- 1kg Turkey/Chicken Stock
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat and cover.
- Allow to cool completely, then pour into a large brining bag or pot. Place uncooked turkey in brine solution, then refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
- When ready to roast turkey, remove turkey from brine. Submerge turkey in a pot or sink of fresh, cold water. Allow to sit in clean water for 15 minutes to remove excess salt from the outside.
- Discard brine. Remove turkey from clean water, pat dry, and cook according to your normal roasting method.
Ingredients for the Braised Red Cabbage
- 2kg red cabbage, sliced
- 200g Sliced red onion
- 170g soft light brown sugar
- 170ml cider vinegar
- 300ml red wine
- 250g Diced green apple
- 50g butter
- 1g cinnamon
- Quarter the red cabbage and remove the core, then finely shred.
- Tip into a large pan with the red onion, apple, brown sugar, cider vinegar, red wine, butter and cinnamon stick and season well.
- Bring to a simmer, then cover with a lid, lower the heat and cook for 1.5 hrs, stirring every so often.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking for 30 mins until tender.
Ingredients for the Creamed Leeks
- 50g Olive Oil
- 500g onion, sliced
- 2kg leek, sliced
- 300ml Double cream
- 150g Edam, chopped
- Heat the oil and cook the leek and onion over a low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and cheese and simmer for 3-4 minutes
Ingredients for the Stuffing
- 1kg Breadcrumbs
- 150g Butter
- 300g Onion, diced
- 25g fresh sage
- 10g fresh thyme
- 5g fresh rosemary
- 12g sea salt
- 2g coarse black pepper
- 15g lemon zest
- Melt ¼ of the butter in a pan, add the onion, zest & season.
- Add the mix to the breadcrumbs and melt the remaining butter and include.
- Mix well with the herbs and allow to cool.
Looking for more inspiration for your Christmas dinner??? Take a look at these…..